A Beer as Rare as a Blue Moon
Blue Loon is our nod to a very popular wheat beer brewed in Colorado. Typically garnished with an orange, this easy-drinking ale is packed with flavor. Bready wheat malt, sweet orange peel, and citrusy coriander swim together to create a wonderfully complex flavor profile without being overly assertive. Dive into a pint and you will notice a subtle bitterness and a clean fermentation profile that let the other ingredients sing. Its deep golden and slightly hazy appearance combined with citrusy flavors will bring recollections of sunny days and moonlit nights.
- Style: Wheat Beer
- Fermentation Range: 65-70F
- Original Gravity: 1.053
- SRM: 4.5
- IBUs: 17
- ABV: 5.1%
- Aroma: Soft fresh-baked bread malt aroma with subtle lemon and orange citrus notes and a faint herbal character.
- Appearance: Deep golden straw color with a moderate haze. Firm and lasting brilliantly white foam head.
- Flavor: Malt-driven flavors of light bread crust and oatmeal with a supporting orange and lemon citrus character. Low bitterness with no hop flavor.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a silky smooth finish. Clean finish on the palette.
Looking for the All-Grain Version?
Notes from Brad, Head Brewer:
“This recipe pays homage to a beer that has unequivocally introduced many people to the world of craft beer. Wheat and barley combine to create a smooth base for the real heroes to shine. Spanish sweet orange peel and coriander provide a flavor blast that takes center stage. This Belgian inspired ale is an absolute classic in the beer realm, and this is my take on it. Although not fermented with Belgian yeast, the characteristic ingredients remain the same to make it an American take on the classic Witbier style. Expect to find notes of fresh bread with supporting citrus notes of lemon and orange and a slight haze. If you are crafting this recipe by all-grain traditional mash tun methods, I recommend adding some rice hulls to prevent the mash from getting stuck due to the high percentage of huskless wheat. If you are brewing with malt extract or conducting a BIAB approach, no modifications are necessary. Have fun with this recipe, it will produce a quaffable ale that you will be proud of. ”
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.