What Are Yeast Nutrients?
What are undesirable flavors from unhealthy yeast?
- Apple flavors can come from acetaldehyde.
- Alcohol flavors can come from diacetyl.
- Butter flavors can come from diacetyl.
What is acetaldehyde in your homebrew?
- Acetaldehyde is an off-flavor in beer, formed during the fermentation process as a precursor to alcohol.
What is diacetyl in your homebrew?
- Diacetyl is a natural by-product of fermentation. Diacetyl has a buttery taste that can ruin your finished beer or wine. It is often caused by an infection during the brewing process or a dirty keg line. While Diacetyl can not be completely eliminated, it can be controlled. Healthy yeast will ferment well and reabsorb excess Diacetyl.